Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Album review! The 1975 - I like it when you sleep for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it

The 1975 have entered into the 2016 charts with the longest album name to go number one…probably. The UK’s funk-pop-rockers have also asserted dominance in the charts over in the US debuting at number one as well. I read an article the other day and found out they are only the 16th UK artists to simultaneously hold number one positions in the UK and US; joining artists like The Beatles, Rod Stewart and The Rolling Stones. 

You start the album off by listening to ‘the 1975’ by the 1975, which I guess is what it feels like to spend 1 minute and 20 seconds in Matt Healy’s mind – a synth-pop dreamland of, well, confusion.  

Then, suddenly, things kick up a gear as the band launches into funk-guitar driven ‘Love Me’. This is the first single to be released from the new 1975 record and it’s a quirky, pisstake on selfie culture. The fabulous video depicts a topless Healy stumbling between life-size cardboard cutouts of commercial superstars like Taylor Swift and Rita Ora. In the song Healy admits he isn’t afraid to see what people write about him on social media, which I think is admirable because I couldn’t do it. 

The 1975 maintain the pace into the next song ‘UGH!’ which, quite simply, is about cocaine. More specifically, Matt Healy’s past dabbling with it. "This conversation's not about reciprocation no more/But I'm gonna wait until you've finished so I can talk some more/About me and my things, my car, my living/And how I'm giving it up, giving it up again". It’s a genius piece of writing and so accurately illustrated, probably my favourite from the album so give it a listen. 



Another great song from this record is ‘The Sound” which is like going round on a carousel – the most joyous, uplifting carousel ever.  The song is an anthemic chorus line of bouncing synth filled in with curious, questioning shade and jibes. The song is also home to a great guitar solo, the best on the album. 

The album is brutally honest, fun and expressive. Admittedly some songs are a bit wishy-washy and daydreamy but truthfully I think the album needs those kind of ballad driven tunes because they shine a light on important cultural messages for young people. But the songs I talked about like ‘UGH!’, ‘Love Me’ and ‘The Sound’ are at least worth a listen. 

Overall, I think the album is sound. The follow up to the first hit, self-titled record is actually better but I think the 1975 are capable of something special here…so it’s okay to be demanding! I like the way the 1975 carry themselves in the media and their music speaks for themselves, which is all written and produced by Healy and Daniels. I also love the pop sound with a rock voice. 


No comments: